Friday, June 25, 2010

Salmon with Mango Sauce.

Salmon winds up on our plates all the time for so many reasons. It's good for us. It's versatile and always available. It's not loaded with mercury.

I found this article by chance on an old SF Gate article. Its a unique twist on your basic salmon recipe. The mango sauce definitely imparts a complexity to the salmon. Upon taking a bite, I was hit by the sweetness of the salmon, which was immediately followed by a savory undertone of the fish and sweetness from the sauce. The tartness of the lime juice didn’t surface until a little afterward. I couldn’t make up my mind if I liked it or not, but it kind of grew on me, and I found myself wanting more. The flavors layer upon each other, complementing each other quite nicely.

The ubiquitous pink fish has become such a fallback choice that it's easy to miss the point: The flesh of this hard-swimming Pacific native tastes wonderful, especially when it's caught wild, in season, close to USA.

Now is the time. California's wild salmon season opened May 1 and the fishing fleet sped straight out to the Farallones, chasing reports of a monster school of glittering, fat kings gorging themselves on ocean critters. That sets their flesh apart from their pallid, artificially colored, farmed cousins.
Ana Mandara is a popular Vietnamese restaurant located in the heart of San Francisco’s Fisherman’s Wharf. The restaurant specializes in Asian fusion. Upon visiting San Francisco and each time I’d take out-of-towners to the touristy Fisherman’s Wharf area, I’d see this restaurant packed full of people.
Now you don't have to fly across pacific ocean to enjoy this, Rosemary Bites is serving Pan-Seared Salmon with Mango Sauce this weekend.  That's right !  This weekend's special with limited time and limited quantity.  Bon Appetite !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flickr